Frequently Asked Questions
We have many enquiries about the flight, and the events surrounding the flight by our passengers prior to take-off. For your convenience these questions have been answered below.
1. When do you fly?
Flights are at dawn when the air is cool and calm.
2. Where are you situated?
We are located in Queenstown, South Island, New Zealand. View our location map.
3. Do you fly all year?
Flights are scheduled daily, weather permitting.
4. How long is the flight?
The whole trip, from pickup and return to your accommodation takes about 3.5 to 4 hours. Which includes, a 1 hour (approx) flight and a delicious champagne breakfast in the field where we land - with champagne, tea, coffee, juice, danishes, muffins and fruit.
5. What can you see?
We have views of Coronet Peak and The Remarkables ski areas, Mount Aspiring in the Southern Alps and Mount Tutoko in Fiordland National Park.
We also see Lake Wakatipu, Lake Hayes, the Shotover and Kawarau rivers. Some locations used in "The Lord Of The Rings" can also be seen, for example, The Ford Of Bruinen; Dimrill Dale; The Gates of Argonath; The Pillars Of The Kings. Also visible is Mount Earnslaw, one of the great mountains seen in Isengard.
6. What does it feel like during the flight?
We only fly in calm conditions and the sensation is one of peace and tranquility as we drift gently along with the breeze.
7. What do I wear?
Dress appropriately for the season, bearing in mind this is an outdoor activity.
Tramping boots or sports shoes are recommended. High heels and sandals are not suitable. Bring a hat!
8. Is previous ballooning experience necessary?
No, not at all, everyone is welcome.
9. Can we bring cameras and video gear?
Yes, but bring twice as much memory as you think you will need.
We also have our in-flight photos and video available for purchase on USB at the landing site.
10. Trip Details
- Launch site only 15 minutes from Queenstown
- Transfers included to and from Queenstown
- Flight Duration: approximately 1 hour
- Please allow 3 - 4 hours for the entire journey
- Flights can start as early as 5am in summer through to 8.30am in winter
- Cameras highly recommended
- Sturdy footwear essential
- Clothing suitable for outdoor pursuits strongly advised
- Passenger weights required when booking
- Exclusive charter flights available by prior arrangement
- Available for Film & Television work, also weddings